2018/19 Season Age Group Updates
From the commencement of the 2018/2019 competition season, Little Athletics across Australia is changing the date on which it determines its age groups, to 31 December. This has direct implications for some of our athletes and parents, as well as Centres who run Little Athletics activities from week to week.
Here’s a summary of everything you need to know, and information about how these changes may affect you during the upcoming season. For a quick snapshot of the correct age groups ahead of registration season, see the images at the bottom of the article.
- Age groups: the date on which Little Athletics will determine its age groups, will move from 30 September to 31 December. This change will take effect in season 2018/2019.
- Who’s affected: athletes born during the period 1 October to 31 December will progress up an additional age group (i.e. two age groups) heading into the 2018/2019 season.
- U17 age group:Centre, Zone, Region and State levels of competition will still be offered for affected athletes who would have been in their second year of U17 in 2018/2019 (i.e. athletes born between 1 October 2001 and 31 December 2001, will still be eligible to register in the U17 age group for the coming season). This provision will only apply for the 2018/2019 season.
- Tiny Tots:Children who are 3 or 4 years of age will participate in the Tiny Tots age group. Children who are only 2 years of age as at 1 October but turn 3 years of age between 1 October and 31 December, will notbe eligible to register until their third birthday.
- ALAC (Australian Little Athletics Championships):eligibility criteria for the Australian Little Athletics Championships (ALAC) have been adjusted to include athletes affected by the age group change.
- Trans Tasman Tour and Challenge: competition rules and selection policies have been adjusted to include athletes affected by the age group change.
- National U15 Camp:eligibility criteria have been reviewed and adjusted to include athletes affected by the age group change.
- Records:no new records will be established as a result of the change in age groups